Today the high practicality of a CNC Lathe Machine has made it indivisible to many small and large industries. If needed a CNC Lathe can design and build all the parts, one would require creating a duplicate.
What is a CNC Lathe?
A lathe machine that uses Computer Numerical Systems (CNC), enabling a machinist to exactly instruct (either manually or automatically using CAD or CAM processes) how to produce the desired parts by turning, cutting, milling, tapping, and other processes. Some CNC Lathes may focus on one functionality more than the other.
In a simple CNC Lathe, a work piece is mounted on the main spindle and rotated consistently, as the cutting tool continues to make cuts from different axes, finalizing the metal piece into a part of your needed design.
How to Function CNC lathes?
Below here are the steps on how to function a simple CNC Lathe Machine:
- Step 1: Load the design program of the part onto the machine. This can be achieved: a. directly by using a CNC programming support system; b. by using a CAD/CAM system, offline for more precise and difficult shapes.
- Step 2: Tightly load and fix the work piece onto the main spindle.
- Step 3: Most CNC Lathes come with an assortment of tools. Place the required tools for the finalized product as specified in the program. Use the coolant pump for every tool, and load them onto the tool turret.
- Step 4: After setting off the tool location offset, bring the needed tools to touch the tool setter on the CNC Lathe. There will be a beeping sound after which you need to record the position on the screen under the right number. Repeat for every tool for the machine to detect the needed axes.
- Step 5: Now it is the turn for the work offset. Turn the turret to one of the recorded cutting tools. Start the spindle and manually make the cutter face the end of the work piece.
Finally, start the program. A typical CNC Lathe will enable you a keen view of the work process and you can stop it, the moment you see something go wrong.
The Utility Of CNC Lathe Machines
CNC Lathe machines are extremely efficient, user-friendly and their flexible usage makes it apt for a wide range of industries such as – automotive, aerospace, sporting, steel mills, electronics, and many more. A CNC Lathe can be used to make practically anything. But here is a list of a few CNC finished products:
- Musical Instruments
- Furniture Pieces Such As Tabletops, Cabinets, Lampshades, And So On.
- Gun Barrels
- Jewelry And Other Accessories.
- Baseball Bats
- Custom Engravings And Signs
- Ashtrays And Lighters
Now that you have got an idea about the basics of lathe machines, take your pick and enjoy its benefits!